Thursday, May 10, 2007

Port-o-blog--Monteverde/Santa Elena: April 27



Hump Attack! Suspension bridge!

Look a Quetzl!



Our hike was super fun and our dude Adrian was flipping hilarious. He would not rest until we saw a quetzl-- which is this big, pretty bird that sounds like Eva when she whines, and lives in the cloud forests. We did actually see one...and Adrian (who was like a costa rican version of the Crocodile Hunter-- do you hear that? its a quetzl...quick run! RUN! Well find him! Wait. Stop. I lost him....NO! Hes over here-- RUN!) made sure we saw other birds/bugs/ cool trees and some animals too. Very cool. I tried to get Jer to buy this shirt that says "Beware of Frog". But he wont.



After the forest we walked to the Bat Jungle museum. Bats rule, dude.




We went for casados at lunch...and Salsa Lizano. Man, thats some good shit. I dont know whats in there, but I likes. Jeremy believes there is a conspiracy to have him sit in uncomfortable chairs. I just think he needs to realise that the average Tico is about 5ft 5 and hes over 6ft tall. Chairs arent made for people his size here.

We wandered into a coffee tour just about to leave (and used Jer's Canada Post ID as a student card to get a cheaper rate)and decided to go. Coffee also rules, dude. We got almost high on eating the coffee berries and sampling the chocolate covered coffee beans. We bought a lot to bring back with us, but i still wish we bought more. I know well regret it later.

Anyways, we learned a lot of shit today. And now, as it is Friday night, its time to party. We found out from a guy on the coffee tour that there was a fiesta happening in Monteverde that night...with rides, partying, food, booze, etc. We walked there and realised that we were some of the only gringos there...but we had fun eating the fair food (almost the same fare as at the Stampede...just with beans and rice instead of fries and usually on a stick) and having a couple cervezas.

After a few Pilsens, I had to pee. So i wandered down this black alley way to this shady little outhouse where these 2 older ladies were sitting and chatting away. I thought they might had been in line, but they didnt even look up when i walked to the potty and then went in. When I came out, shit hit the fan.

Juicy: Ahhh. Me gusto! that was great.

Senorita: (loud angry spanish...the only words i understand are 'banos' and 'cent colones' followed by more angry spanish)

J: (getting the gist that this was a pay toilet) Lo siento...uhhh...no deneiro...mi novio....(pointing to where Jer is)...uno menos...(Jer had the cash, you see...)

S: (sees me trying to leave...) No!!! CENT COLONES!!! NO!!! MILLE COLONES! (she now wanted a thousand...still only like $2...but it didnt matter when i didnt have it on me)(more angry spanish)

J: I-DONT-HAVE-IT-I-WILL-BE-BACK!

S: No! (grabs my arm) POLICIA! POLICIA!

J: Oh fuck...

I got her hand off of me and quickly walked up to Jer and said that we had to go. Now.

Yeah, I was run out of a fiesta.



This poster was all over town-- it was show at the fiesta. I didnt get to see her because...well, y'know

3 comments:

Bliss said...

That's a powerful will there, hoss, resisting the temptation of a poster that screams:

"Para Bailar SIN PARAR!"

:)

Cindy said...

If you learned a lot of things that means you get to deduct your trip cost as an education expense on your taxes. If they give you any trouble, let them know I said it was okay.

The Lily said...

awesome, fare jumping at the bano.