Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Gumbyland: Can it be real?

I just remembered the dream I had last night...well, actually, this morning between Jer getting up and me hitting the snooze bar for the first of 15 times...

I went to "Gumbyland" a theme park dedicated to everyone's fave posable action gum figure(?!?!)located in scenic Norway.

I love Gumby. I have a tiny Gumby (actually called a "Gumbitty") and Pokey...both are permanent fixtures on my work computer (no matter where ive worked) and have been over the last 3 years. When i wasnt working, they sat on my microwave because i have a laptop at home and the microwave seemed computer-like enough for their presence. I bought them in Vancouver originally for my ex Ian (who owned about 30 gumbies, a gumby poster, lamp, and soap all in varying sizes...but had no Gumbitty)but became attached to them and, uh, got them in the divorce.

So anyways, in my dream, I was sitting with Jer and a bunch of people i know from work and his hockey team and im showing them a slideshow of my pictures from Gumbyland. They all involved people in Gumby suits standing infront of castles which,as I explained to everyone, were quite common in Norway. (and no, I have never actually been to Norway)

A land of Giant gumbies and castles? Could it be true? Well, i just spent some of my lunch hour looking it up...and I am sad to report that there is no real Gumbyland in Norway or elsewhere. Thats too bad... i mean have you ever seen an episode of Gumby? Its really quite fucked. I just watched a clip of one and a giant cinnamon bun starting speaking to them in french and teaching them how to order orange juice en francais. Gumbyland would be like a total acid trip.

I guess what it means, though, is that i could take initiative and start my own Gumbyland... except I dont speak Norweigan...and I dont know of any cinnamon buns that could teach me.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Gumby always freaked me out as a child. Him and the Oompa Loompas in Willy Wonka.

Come to think of it, they both still do.