Saturday, February 11, 2006

Team Canada

Yesterday I wasnt around...did ya miss me? Instead of working/blogging/ignoring clients who bug me/eating candy with our receptionist, Jer and I took to the mountains. We went to Banff Hot Springs, soaked in the Hot Pools, got a massage, then went for dinner. It was a pretty wikked way to spend a Friday.

Apparently the Olympics started yesterday. Im not sure because hockey doesnt start until next week and, honestly, I dont plan to watch too much else. Well, at least i dont plan to....however, every Olympics I always find myself by about day 2 or 3 hunkering down on the couch to watch a few minutes of skiing or something...and proceeding to spend the next 11 days glued to the TV watching everything from Ladies Curling to Mens Super G [which honestly i have no idea what it means] to Ice Dancing. And usually while stoned. [Stoned olympics should be an event in itself. Its pretty fun...and events like curling and Super G seem to make a lot more sense]

I cant imagine what the Olympic fervor is like in the US-- why? Because im Canadian. We arent that crazy patriotic. [except for when hockey is involved and, BTW, Canada is going to win the gold medal in hockey. They are. Period. Sorry other countries, its already been decided.]

Usually when the Olympics is on Canadian TV, a certain phrase is said over and over and over again: "Personal Best". What does this mean? Well, its basically a synonym for "they came in 4th". If there was a medal for 4th, we'd totally rule. During the closing ceremonies, this phrase will be said about 70000 times in reference to Canadian atheletes[...except for the hockey team cuz they are winning gold]. I think we're too bashful or something. Not so flashy as to actually win something, but to do really well and make everyone say 'oh, good for him/her'

According to the TV, a girl from my hometown just won a gold medal in Moguls. Thats cool. Good for her. Sounds like a personal best.

3 comments:

Monty said...

There was women's hockey on Friday and today. On the other hand, a massage, soaking in hot pools can lead to several personal bests! Four is not a bad goal!

Anonymous said...

I've always had issues with the word "Banff." It's just so awkward looking. Sounds like it's an acronym for something.

Barreling Around Naked is Fucking Fantastic

I have no idea what barreling around means, but the naked part is definitely true.

JuicyA said...

haha-- JJ I think you need a job with the Banff tourist board...and if you have ever been to Banff you'd know why: STD capital of Canada