Tuesday, February 21, 2006

We've got Spirit, Yes we do!

Im back from a long weekend. Did ya miss me?

Yesterday we had one of these ready-made classic 'holiday weekends' where there is no real purpose for having a holiday..other than some guy decided we need it. In this case, for Alberta, it was this guy-- Don Getty who was a Premier before King Ralph and no one really liked him... so he gave us a day off. [as a note, King Ralph sent all Albertans a cheque for $400 to make us like him. Alberta: Come for the Mountains, stay for the bribes] And also, as a 'holiday weekend' we had to tag it with a gay name: 'Family Day'.

I spent it watching Tv [I heart Project Runway], going to the gym, and walking my dog. No biggie. I also dyed my hair black and no one likes it but me.

I also watched the Canadian women win the Gold medal [woooot!] and watched the men...well, I dont really want to talk about it. The game on Sunday sucked and pissed me off and made me angry. Luckily, they won this morning. I only got to watch the first period, but apparently they squeaked a win in. [note, one of my Oilers, Chris Pronger, scored the winning goal. Boooyah!]

But right now I dont want to bitch about the players. I want to bitch about this:


Yes they are cheerleaders. I have no problem with cheerleaders. I loved that Cheerleader movie, Bring it on. Yes they are perky. I have no problem with perky, some of my best friends are perky. But I DONT WANT TO LOOK AT THEM WHEN IM TRYING TO WATCH HOCKEY!

Cheerleaders go with hockey as well as ice cream and malt liquor. Hockey is a fast paced and rough sport. Cheerleaders are soft and fluffy.

There arent a lot of time outs or pauses in the game of hockey [like in football or basketball] and instead of standing off court where they dont alter or distract the view of the fans, these bitches are standing in the stairways...so people behind them have to try to watch the game around their dumb pom poms.

Having cheerleaders there makes it campy...and if i want campy at my hockey games, I want it to be from guys with painted faces and bellies, banging on garbage can lids, doing the wave to 'Cotton Eyed Joe',and swilling cheap draft.

Which brings me to the next issue: its called hockey NOT "ice hockey". Is there an "i" in "NHL"? No. Dumbasses.

4 comments:

Pusher Robot said...

Beautifully said!!!!
I so dislike when cheerleaders are in the way of the game ... OR ... children, or wives, or animals or well anything really ... and i especially dislike people talking to me during the game (unless its about hockey).
There are TWO intermissions in this game ... save it!
:D
Keep your stick on the ice!

red-5 said...

To be technical, there is actually an i in National. See, its right there between the t and the o.

Not that I disagree with you. It's not like we call is ice luge even though there is street luge.

cam

CBK said...

So funny about "Cotton Eye Joe"!

I've been dismayed at the trend in the NHL to have "Ice Girls". These cheer leaders just seem to be Italy's misguided version of that phenomenon.

Cindy said...

I still hold some animosity towards cheerleaders.