Friday, February 17, 2006

Cold weather induced crabbyness

First: allow me to bitch about the weather. Fuck Fuck FAAAAACK its cold out. I know i live in a country where its supposed to be winter for 10 months of the year. But that doesnt mean i have to like it. And I dont.

And Digi doesnt like it either [hes from the US... I guess he doesnt understand...yes im kidding]. This morning i dressed Digi up in an old jacket vest of mine to wear outside so he could stay warmer. He sure looked damn cute. Annoyed, but damn cute. I forgot my camera or Id have a picture on here...with him wearing a 'awwww mom, i look like a dork' expression on his face.

And I just found out the pipes at the office are frozen so we dont have toilet facilities. Super.

Second: Olympic count-- we now have second-place finishes in both the men’s and women’s long-track team pursuit, and third in the women’s skeleton and men’s figure skating. Making our total medal count at 8. woot! And one is in skeleton. Thats pretty cool. And we won at hockey yesterday [duh]

Now that i got that utter bullshit out of the way, I can bitch about how i spent last night. Well, not really bitch but, i dunno, randomly complain. Ya see, last year my fave martini bar closed in Calgary. I wrote about it here. Well, last night it re-opened in a new larger location and....it sucked.

First, we were hasseled for what we were wearing. We were likely the only ones there not wearing suits. I dont even friggin wear suits to work anymore, like im going to wear them there. Next, the clientele. Wanker central. Like every loser lawyer that i have ever done my best to avoid was there. Lotsa yuppies with their blackberries and cell phones ready for the necessary phone calls they may need to make. And maybe im crabby cuz i dont smoke anymore, but everyone seemed to be smoking but me. But the nuttiest thing about the place and why i will likely never return, is that the drink prices were insane. Last night the drinks were free [thank christ] but otherwise they are priced about $2 more per drink than every other bar in town. $8 for a pint? I dont friggin think so.

So they took a bar which was totally wikked and one of my fave places to drink [ So much so that when it closed i was really bummed out] and turned it into another generic yuppie hangout with overpriced drinks and a pretentious dress code. Groan. Maybe Im getting to old for this. [although i think the demographic they were looking for in there was 5 years older than me, even]

Wow, I just looked at that post from when the Merc closed. Things sure can change in a year, huh?

Im getting a hot chocolate. That'll improve my mood.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Aw, Juicy's growing up... it happens so fast...

Pusher Robot said...

yeah seems like just yesterday she was knee-high to a grasshopper, tugging on your coat tail and asking you to help her tie her shoes :)

CBK said...

How long is the cold supposed to last? I'm going to Calgary next week.

I'm just going to be there for a day, but if you're up to getting together, that would be great.

Itchy said...

Holy crap that is cold...

I have no idea what's going on in the Olympics...I've not watched one second of them...

And drink prices at sporting events and concerts is ridiculous, too. My sister and I were going to get a beer at the Prince show a few years ago and it was $6 a bottle...and that was just for my lame ass Bud Light...I can get a 6 pack for that...I think. Ridiculous!

serfx said...

if anyone you know makes the "well informed" decision of walking to a bar at -30, maybe they deserve to go to that palce.... i'm just saying...

oh, and hi, i'm a crazed lurker.. as of 30 seconds ago, when i stumbled here from maine's blog

Cindy said...

an bookmark from ass2006? Lucky you!

The Lily said...

*tee-hee* You said "Fack."

I heart Canadians.