Thursday, March 29, 2007

Juicy A-- Zombie Killer

So I was just reading about the new 'Grindhouse' movies that are coming out soon. Im super pumped..not just because I am quite the Tarantino fan, but because I really like movies where people kill zombies. (I even like killing zombies-- ask Jer, I always make him play that 'House of the Dead' interactive game at the arcade...the one where you hold the guns and blow up zombies? yeah. I fucken rule at that game. Just so you know, if there IS a zombie attack, Im a a freaking zombie marksman. Too bad its not an olympic sport...) Anways. I saw the website for Grindhouse and im pumped.

While looking at the IMDB site, I noticed that on the bottom they had the 'movies you might also be interested in' thing... and started looking at them. It appears that IMDB thinks i like disturbing and twisted movies. So here are some of the ones I apparently need to check out:

Pink Flamingos-- Divine, a transvestite that apparently has sex with a chicken, competes with a couple who, for a living, impregates female hitchhikers and sells the babies to lesbians, for the title of trashiest family in the US. [yah, its a comedy-- and was written in 1972--seems before its time]

Korishiya ( aka Ichi the Killer)-- I dont even know what this is about. Its a Japanese yakuza film. Apparently very gory and upsetting. ( they passed out barfbags when it played in a film festival in Toronto) Read about it here.

Heavenly Creatures -- 2 girls become friends who have their own twisted reality where they murder one girl's mother.

8mm-- Seen it. Loved it.

Requiem for a Dream-- Juice for Tappy! Juice for Tappy! Goooooo Tappy! One of my fave movies of all time. I own the book too. But when I read the author's other book 'Last Exit to Brooklyn' I actually puked.

Okay-- now any other suggestions for disturbing films? Most of the websites I have looked at involve these artsy french films that i absolutely will not be able to find in Calgaria. ( FYI I have seen all of David Lynch's and most of David Cronenburg's films...these seem to always make the top 10 lists of all the sites ive seen)

9 comments:

Bliss said...

You haven't seen Pink Flamingos? :) Yes, yes - watch that one. I won't spoil the surprise (other readers giggle). :)

Last House on the Left.

Meet The Feebles (for so many reasons).

Happiness

American History X

Bad Lieutenant

Ken Park (if you can find it)

Cannibal Holocaust (which I think you can actually find on YouTube)

I Spit on Your Grave

Salo

Boxing Helena

etc.

:)

JuicyA said...

Loved Happiness and Bad Lieutenant ( cant go wrong with a Harvey Keitel penis shot!) wasnt too sure about Boxing Helena and Amercian History. Ive been looking for Ken Park and Salo...and will now joyously add the rest of your suggestions to my ever growing list...

Cindy said...

Screw the video store... Netflix, baby, netflix.

I'm not too fond of gory fucked up movies so I can't really think of anything to suggest, although I have a certain amount of affection for Dawn of the Dead, since it's supposed to take place in Milwaukee. Even though it totally wasn't shot here at all.

JuicyA said...

i dont think we have netflix here?!?!

Bliss said...

I think Abel Ferrara said that the last scene in Bad Lieutenant was shot as guerilla-filmmaking - what you're seeing is the unscripted reactions of real people to the scene (they think a real suicide has just happened).

twg said...

Boxing Helena is SO WEIRD. Yet kind of awesome.

Heavenly Creatures is actually really good. Kate Winslet's first role if I'm not mistaken. Also? Peter Jackson directing, randomly.

Daver said...

The sad thing is I have seen all but one of those movies, I own a few of them too....perhaps I really am sick and twisted? I have April 6th circled on my calendar, might even take the day off work?

Buzz said...

Requiem made me want to take a shower, and then rescue Jennifer Conolly and make her my bride.

Anyway.

fucked up movies.

I watched "Babel" which I thought was depressing and fucked up. Then, I learned that the writer director team for that film are two mexican guys and they have two other previous films in their portfolio. Their names are Alejandro González Iñárritu (director)and Guillermo Arriaga (writer)

anyway, here are their other films.


1. 21 Grams (fucked up and riveting)

2. Amores perros (really fucked, you might not like it since it revolves around dog fighting, defintetly touched a nerve with me) and it's in spanish so you have to be sober enough to follow subtitiles.



Buzz

Unknown said...

Amores Perros is a classic me thinks. Ichi The Killer is fucked up, but funny fucked up. The violence is TOO crazy for it to be real, but the villain is scary awesome.