Friday, December 09, 2005

Dying (and other cheerful topics)

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of John Lennons death. As a Beatles fan, that totally bummed me out.

The radio was all Beatles yesterday and had little quips from people talking about where they were when they heard...and being that i have recently become the wussiest sap ever [ i cried 4 times during Top Model on Wednesday] i could stop from tearing up while i was listening.

I think the saddest phonecall from a listener was someone whose son was born the day after Lennon's death and made a comment about how bad she felt that John's son, Sean, never had his daddy with him when he was growing up. Fuck. I lost it.

Being the morbid SOB that i am, this made me think about the list of songs i want played at my funeral. Im sure everyone has one of these lists [right?!]. So far Ive come up with:

- Heart of Gold, Neil Young

- California Dreamin', The Mamas and the Papas

- Instant Karma, John Lennon [yes, this one has been on my list a long time... although they played it yesterday and it made me cry]

- Lucky Man, The Verve

- Slide Away, Oasis

-You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, The Beatles [prolly my fave song ever]

And just to lighten the mood and make people laugh, I was thinking

-Hollaback Girl, Gwen Stefani [or something equally ridiculous that my friends would say represents me]

Also, although i want to be cremated, I want to be wearing something sexy and with a good pair of stillettos. Maybe in one of my evening gowns.

Okay. Now that Ive spent some time talkin bout my demise... Im going to go get a donut.

5 comments:

Itchy said...

What I am about to say is 100% true. I told my husband that I wanted him to play "The Humpty Dance" at my funeral. Why that song? Can't answer that...it's just what I told him and I'm stickin' to my guns.

Cindy said...

I have a list of really sad songs but I haven't thought of my funeral songs... at Aaron's they played "Freebird" which already had bad juju because of my ex, who was an awesome guitar player and would play the solo when his band did it, so I always skip it when it comes on because I'll lose it. Oh these birds that I cannot change...

JuicyA said...

Free bird... whoa. that is a good funeral song. Makes me think of that scene in Forrest Gump where Jenny was going to kill herself. Fuck.

Humpty dance...thats just real sweet

CBK said...

As much as I love and think about music, I have never thought about what I want played at my funeral.

I don't think I want to make that list just yet.

Monty said...

I want a Viking funeral, leaving Baltimore harbor, and heading west, through Chicago, and finally out the Columbia River. It's going to be one hell of a party! Maybe the London Philharmonical and some funeral dirge at the end.